Saturday, November 17, 2007

I'm Not A Trader, But This Market Is Making Me Act Like One

Market volatility has killed my investing discipline. Or at least it feels like it.

Over the past two choppy down market weeks, I've sold five stocks - ACH, RMA, UA, LULU, and TNH - all due to their falling a third from their highs. Three of those stocks were owned for less than 2 months. All five of them had been owned for less than 8 months.

The last thing I want to be is a hyperactive trader who gives up on long-term stories due to short-term fluctuations. If that happens, then the damage done by implementing the supposed "lessons learned" from The Stock We Don't Speak Of will become catastrophic.

The above stocks have been replaced by Dominion Resources Black Warrior Trust (DOM), a 12% dividend yielder, and let's face it, just a cool name; Tidewater (TDW), a very cheap oil rig services play; and MEMC Electronic Materials (WFR), my late entry into the white-hot solar energy sector.

Truthfully, I have very little confidence in these stocks, or any other stocks in my portfolio. I have sell orders just waiting to be triggered if my stocks fall further. But I'm staying in the market because I could be wrong. It's the prudent thing to do...at least that's what I keep telling myself.