Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 Stock Recap: The Departed

This year's "Departed" post is fairly short, meaning I am generally pleased with my portfolio as it is presently composed.

My portfolio's return (+34.7%; my 3rd best year since I started this investing thing in 2000) topped the S&P 500's total return (+31.9%). You take that 2.8% surplus and run with it, folks.

It's been 3 years since stating so and 13 years overall, but I think I'm closer than I've ever been to having the portfolio that I've always wanted: an overwhelming collection of awesome stocks, devoid of crappy stocks. But this is not a "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banner-worthy moment. Every month, I have to do the work to ensure that I keep this good thing going. Let's hope I can.

Here's a look at all the stocks I've sold in the past year, from best to worst - based solely on 2013's performance, while mostly ignoring any intra-year volatility:

White River Capital (RVR)
Year-opening price: $21.25
Sold: Mar @ $22.03 (4%)
Bought out by private equity firm Parthenon Capital Partners.

BreitBurn Energy Partners (BBEP)
Year-opening price: $18.47
Sold: Jul @ $15.94 (-14%)
Year-closing price: $20.34 (10%)
Ditched the worst of my natural gas stocks. If you bought when I sold, congrats.

Annaly Capital Management (NLY)
Year-opening price: $14.04
Sold: Jul @ $11.30 (-20%)
Year-closing price: $9.97 (-29%)
My failed REIT's, part one. (This one's failed twice.)

American Capital Agency (AGNC)
Year-opening price: $28.90
Sold: Jul @ $20.37 (-30%)
Year-closing price: $19.29 (-33%)
My failed REIT's, part two.