Sunday, March 4, 2018

Stocks Of The Month: AAPL, NVDA

You may have noticed that there was no "Stocks Of The Month" post for the month of February.

Here's what happened:
  • bought more of my top 4 holdings: Tesla (TSLA), Amazon (AMZN), NVIDIA (NVDA), and Apple (AAPL)
  • the market went down, up, and mostly sideways
Now that you're caught up, I'd like to share that I've once again (inevitably) changed my allocation targets.

Before, my goals were specific; e.g.
Tesla 22%
NVIDIA 18%
Amazon 14%
Apple 10%
Google 7%
Facebook 5%
Microsoft 3%
...

I've realized that ranking stocks so precisely is far too restrictive (will I always like Tesla exactly 22.2% more than NVIDIA?), and therefore performance of individual stocks should have a determination in how much I own of each.

So now, I've arrived at goals that allow for some "float" within subgroups; e.g.
Tesla 16%
Amazon 16%
NVIDIA 16%
Apple 16%
Google 5%
Facebook 5%
Microsoft 5%
...

And, if Apple ends up at 22% and Amazon at 10%, I don't really care as long as my top 4 stocks comprise 64% of my total porfolio value.

With all of that resolved, March's Stocks Of The Month are Apple (AAPL) and NVIDIA (NVDA).

Note that 1) I have a lot of stocks which are below their target allocation; and 2) I'm deliberately attempting to stuff ten pounds of awesome into a five pound bag - this allocation "problem" is never going to be solved, only managed (on a month-to-month basis, it turns out).

Here's my current portfolio (buy and hold). As always, I believe in all of these stocks - until I sell them.

Tesla (TSLA) 15.05%
Amazon (AMZN) 13.94%
NVIDIA (NVDA) 12.40%
Apple (AAPL) 12.05%
Alphabet (GOOGL) 7.28%
Facebook (FB) 4.97%
Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) 3.88%
Microsoft (MSFT) 2.95%
Adobe Systems (ADBE) 2.60%
Nike (NKE) 2.25%
Salesforce.com (CRM) 2.20%
Intel (INTC) 1.95%
Visa (V) 1.87%
BlackRock (BLK) 1.80%
UnitedHealth Group (UNH) 1.74%
Waste Management (WM) 1.63%
Booking Holdings (BKNG) 1.58%
Starbucks (SBUX) 1.56%
Chubb Limited (CB) 1.55%
Costco Wholesale (COST) 1.27%
Autodesk (ADSK) 0.90%
Comcast (CMCSA) 0.70%
Activision Blizzard (ATVI) 0.65%
American Water Works (AWK) 0.53%
Norfolk Southern (NSC) 0.47%
CSX (CSX) 0.44%
Aqua America (WTR) 0.44%
Union Pacific (UNP) 0.43%
Canadian National Railway (CNI) 0.43%
Kansas City Southern (KSU) 0.38%