Thursday, August 16, 2007

Welcome To The Market Capitulation

The market's getting clobbered today.

My portfolio is currently down seven and one-half percent for the session.

I'm happy.

We're finally making some progress here, by washing out all the trash speculation. Maybe Countrywide (CFC), Thornburg Mortgage (TMA), and the weakest of the brokers (Lehman (LEH)? Bear Stearns (BSC)? The supposedly bullet-proof Goldman Sachs (GS)?) all go under.

Yippee. Bernanke wins, we get a recession, and thank goodness, inflation is held in check.

Sometimes I wish the Fed Chairman would just come out and say what their policies really effect - "Sometimes our economy needs to be in recession, and unfortunately now is one of those times. We are keeping rates higher than they should be in order to ensure the economy's health in the long term." I mean, he isn't an elected official or anything. Just say it, Ben.

Anyway, I don't think "Dow 14,000" is going to be as infamous as "Nasdaq 5,000". I do think there will be more volatility in the near future. And, I'm going to hold on to my stocks - and eventually buy some more.

It does look like Deplhi's (DPHIQ.PK) stock-as-a-call-option scenario is coming true. Since I didn't do so before, I'll nominate it as August's stock of the month, since I did buy some in July as described here. It seems like as appropriate of a choice as any, with its 58% decline this month. Obviously, the risk side of that "high risk, high reward" investment is winning for now.

When Bernanke says enough is enough, things will be alright. Until then, welcome to the market capitulation. And do try your best to enjoy your stay.