Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Stock Of The Month: SID

Everybody that's been following the market knows that steel stocks are en fuego. As is the economy of Brazil, and more broadly, Latin America. And, as I've mentioned before, I'm a sucker for dividend stocks.

With all that in mind, I present to you Companhia Siderurgica Nacional (SID). Of all the steel stocks I've researched, SID had the best combination of high margins; high returns on assets and equity; positive cash flows; and high dividend yield. Yet somehow, it has largely not participated in the recent steel-stock bull run. I believe that it will gain the recognition it deserves soon - and if not, it is a prime takeover candidate in an industry ripe for consolidation.

Here's my current portfolio. As always, I believe in all of these stocks - until I sell them.

Southern Copper (PCU) 12.80%
Dominion Resources Black Warrior Trust (DOM) 12.56%
Fording Canadian Coal (FDG) 10.63%
Goldman Sachs (GS) 7.33%
Google (GOOG) 6.02%
Apple (AAPL) 5.41%
Tidewater (TDW) 5.11%
Apache (APA) 4.87%
American Capital Strategies (ACAS) 4.79%
Terra Nitrogen (TNH) 4.69%
Foster Wheeler (FWLT) 4.32%
MEMC Electronic Materials (WFR) 3.70%
Frontline (FRO) 3.70%
Companhia Siderurgica Nacional (SID) 3.49%
NVIDIA (NVDA) 3.15%
Alliance Resource Partners (ARLP) 2.61%
Ace Limited (ACE) 2.55%
Nokia (NOK) 2.25%