Thursday, January 24, 2008

Are We Capitulating Yet?

It's been an especially crazy last couple of days, the latest in a crazy start to the year for the stock market. I mean, it's been so crazy, that the Fed actually felt sufficiently motivated to - get this - move rates.

Insanity. The whole thing kinda reminds me of this scene. (I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to draw the parallels.)



So, here's what I've done recently.

Sold Baidu.com (BIDU) at $282, for a 193% gain, 288% annualized
Bought more Dominion Resources Black Warrior Trust (DOM) at $17 (DCA'd to $20)
Sold Capstone Turbine (CPST) at $1.20, for a 25% gain, 28% annualized
Bought more Southern Copper (PCU) at $76 (DCA'd to $45)

Although the sells were of the triggered variety, there's a trend there: selling "speculative" stocks with no dividends, for "conservative" stocks with huge dividends.

(Hint: I'm liking dividend stocks in '08.)