Sunday, January 6, 2008

Stocks Of The Month: TNH, FWLT

"Terra Nitrogen (TNH)
Bought: Sep @ $112.50
Sold: Nov @ $88.25 (-22%)
Year-closing price: $149.53 (33%)
I've made a huge mistake."


In order to avoid the even, uh, huger mistake of not buying an awesome stock in an en fuego sector with incredible fundamentals and a nice dividend, solely because I previously bought high and sold low on said stock, I picked up some TNH last week at $150.

I guess there's some saying about babies and bathwater, and how you're supposed to avoid throwing out one along with the other. I'd use it right now, if it weren't the most overquoted quote in the history of quoting.

I'll just say that it's probably not a good idea to sell great stocks in a bad market...because it's not a good idea to sell great stocks, ever.

Also, as suggested in part two of the 2007 recap, Geron (GERN) indeed dropped enough to trigger a sale, which allowed for the purchase of Foster Wheeler (FWLT) at $165. I needed an infrastructure stock in my portfolio, and I like FWLT's exposure to the global economy and to power generation. I am slightly afraid of its amazing run from a $9 stock in just a little over two years, but it is still just an $11.5 billion dollar company and should have room to grow further.