Sunday, February 3, 2008

Stock Of The Month: ACAS

Bought some American Capital Strategies (ACAS) at $33 last week. ACAS is yet another high dividend stock, which has fallen 43% over the past year and was just too cheap for me to pass up. I'm not entirely comfortable about investing in a company dealing whose main product is debt, but it seems like a worthwhile risk.

Then, in a triggered sale, sold Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) at $237. Although it was for a 158% gain (64% annualized), I regretted this trade almost immediately because it's a great company with leading technology in a growing market - then I really regretted the trade when the stock zoomed up 29% in the two days thereafter. Is this a Terra Nitrogen(TNH)-like case of seller's remorse, where I'll feel compelled to "sell low and buy high"? Could be. Hopefully the stock will come back in first.

Finally, I feel Mr. Market has given us a gift recently by beating down Google (GOOG), due to "disappointing" earnings and a potential Microsoft/Yahoo! merger. You know how much of a threat MicroHoo is to Google in search? My bet is no more, and likely significantly less, than the sum of the two as they are now. So, I took my ISRG proceeds and bought some more GOOG at $520.

Here's my current portfolio. As always, I believe in all of these stocks - until I sell them.

Southern Copper (PCU) 12.08%
Dominion Resources Black Warrior Trust (DOM) 11.50%
Fording Canadian Coal (FDG) 9.10%
Google (GOOG) 7.25%
Annaly Capital Management (NLY) 6.32%
Goldman Sachs (GS) 5.84%
American Capital Strategies (ACAS) 5.53%
Tidewater (TDW) 5.35%
MF Global (MF) 5.21%
MEMC Electronic Materials (WFR) 4.23%
Apache (APA) 4.15%
Frontline (FRO) 3.67%
Terra Nitrogen (TNH) 2.93%
NVIDIA (NVDA) 2.92%
Ace Limited (ACE) 2.92%
Alliance Resource Partners (ARLP) 2.87%
Apple (AAPL) 2.82%
Nokia (NOK) 2.77%
Foster Wheeler (FWLT) 2.52%