Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Stock Of The Month: ATN

The Stock Of The Month is back for 2009! Unlike the last couple months of 2008, when most everything was as appealing as toxic waste, it's relatively easy to find interesting stocks these days. Indeed, I have an entire watch list of stocks that I can't wait to buy (if I only had, you know, the money to buy them).

Atlas Energy Resources (ATN) is a 17% dividend yielder, backed by oil and natural gas assets throughout the eastern U.S. Even though it has a payout ratio of 115% (generally not a good thing), Atlas, in its short history as a publicly-traded company, has steadily increased its dividend payments quarter after quarter. Even if they do have to slash their dividend, it will still be sufficiently large.

Here's my current portfolio. As always, I believe in all of these stocks - until I sell them.

Dominion Resources Black Warrior Trust (DOM) 14.46%
Terra Nitrogen (TNH) 13.30%
Tesoro (TSO) 11.56%
Southern Copper (PCU) 9.80%
Frontline (FRO) 9.61%
Ace Limited (ACE) 9.20%
Google (GOOG) 9.02%
Apple (AAPL) 7.79%
Tidewater (TDW) 4.64%
Atlas Energy Resources (ATN) 4.14%
Apache (APA) 3.84%